Ex-cons will be prosecuted by feds for robbing 13 people at gunpoint across 3 NYC boroughs in 2 hours

Two ex-cons accused of robbing 13 people at gunpoint across three New York City boroughs during a wild two-hour crime spree will be prosecuted by federal authorities, police said Wednesday.

Alvin Velez, 34, and Carlos Perez, 24, were being held early Wednesday by US Marshals and will appear in Manhattan Federal Court.

Police said it is unlikely the duo would be released on bail — as Perez boasted he would be when he was arrested Tuesday morning.

“In 24 hours, I’ll be out on bail,” Perez, vowed as he was put into a police cruiser in handcuffs, Fox 5 News reported.

The duo’s crime spree began in Queens just before 1 a.m. Tuesday when they rolled up in a white Toyota minivan and robbed two women on Alstyne Ave. near 104th St. in Corona, getting away with two cell phones and a necklace, police said.

A short time later, the duo surfaced at the Woodside Motel on Queens Blvd. near 65th St., where they robbed two people of their cash and cellphone, police said.

The crooks then drove to Brooklyn, where they held up a man on N. 11th St. and Wythe Ave. in Greenpoint at 1:45 a.m. before going back to Queens, where they held up six people at an outdoor dining shed near 72nd St. and Broadway in Jackson Heights about 20 minutes later, police said.

Their last two heists were in Manhattan, where they robbed a worker in a food truck outside Washington Square Park at 2:40 a.m., then snatched a bag with personal property off a woman at Seaman Ave. and W. 204th St. in Inwood at 3:10 a.m., police said.

None of the robbery victims were hurt.

Police quickly launched a manhunt and at about 4 a.m. cops in an NYPD helicopter spotted the minivan in the Bronx, where it had crashed near Cedar Ave. and W. 179th St. in University Heights. The gun used in the robberies was found in the glove compartment, police said.

Carlos Perez

Velez was arrested at the crash scene, with Perez nabbed after police chased him into a Sedgwick Ave. building a few blocks away.

The Daily News Flash


Catch up on the day’s top five stories every weekday afternoon.

Investigators believe the duo were robbing anyone they could find on the street for quick cash and valuables and were planning to continue their spree in the Bronx when they crashed, police said.

Charges against the men, who are both from Manhattan, are pending.

“Nothing happened. I didn’t do it,” Perez shouted to reporters as he was walked out of the 110th Precinct stationhouse in Corona by cops late Tuesday. “Ya heard? Ya heard? I’m innocent.”

Velez twice said he’s innocent, too.

Both men have multiple arrests and were recently arrested on drug charges, police said.

Velez was paroled in November 2021 after serving seven years in state prison for an attempted murder in Manhattan, records show. Before that, he was conditionally released by parole in February 2013 after serving more than a year for a weapons conviction, also in Manhattan.

Perez, according to records, was paroled in October 2020 after serving more than a year for Bronx weapons conviction.

For more updates check below links and stay updated with News AKMI.
Education News || Politics News || Journal News || Daily Local News || Lifetime Fitness || Sports News || Automotive News


Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

usa news wall today prime news newso time news post wall