Supercars shock as car production stops
Supercars officials are adamant the Camaros will be on the grid until the end of 2025 despite GM deciding to end production of the muscle car.
The Camaro only made it’s racing debut at the opening Supercars event in Newcastle earlier in March, the first championship race for the car since 1984.
Shane van Gisbergen piloted his Camaro, which replaced Holden ZB Commodore for Red Bull Racing, to history on debut before the race victory was taken off them for a technical breach.
But on Thursday Chevrolet announced production of the sixth generation Camaro will conclude with the model year 2024.
“While we are not announcing an immediate successor today, rest assured, this is not the end of Camaro’s story,” Chevrolet vice-president Scott Bell said in a statement.
“Our plan is to continue to compete and win at the highest levels of auto racing.”
The current Camaro will continue to be used for racing in Supercars, NASCAR and other affiliate motorsports.
But Supercars may have to look elsewhere for a car beyond 2025.
Supercars CEO Shane Howard conceded the announcement “will have an impact on our racing product,” but that change “sometimes inevitable.”
“We will continue our strong partnership with GM into the future,” Howard said.
“GM has been an integral part of our heritage and has played a significant role in shaping Supercars to become what it is today, the greatest touring car category in the world.
“For fans, the Camaro will continue to proudly represent Chevrolet Racing in the Repco Supercars Championship until at least the end of 2025.”
The Camaro will take on the Ford Mustang at next weekend’s Melbourne SuperSprint at Albert Park.
For more updates check below links and stay updated with News AKMI.
Education News || Politics News || Journal News || Daily Local News || Lifetime Fitness || Sports News || Automotive News