Choreographer Liam Scarlett has died at the age of 35, a year after leaving The Royal Ballet over allegations of inappropriate behaviour.
A statement from his family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the tragic, untimely death of our beloved Liam.
“At this difficult time for all of our family, we would ask that you respect our privacy to enable us to grieve our loss.”
Scarlett’s position with The Royal Ballet ended last year, when the Royal Opera House, which is home to the Royal Ballet Company, said that an independent investigation had concluded.
The artist-in-residence was investigated over claims of sexual misconduct involving students but the investigation concluded there “were no matters to pursue in relation to alleged contact with students of The Royal Ballet School”.
Scarlett joined the Royal Ballet Company in 2006 and retired from dancing in 2012 to focus on choreography.
His works for The Royal Ballet included Despite, Vayamos al Diablo, Consolations and Liebestraum, Asphodel Meadows and a new production of Swan Lake.
Scarlett also worked with the English National Ballet, the New York City Ballet, the American Ballet Theatre and the Norwegian National Ballet, among others.
The claims against him shocked the ballet world, with Australia’s Queensland Ballet among those to cut ties with him.
The Royal Opera House previously said it was made aware of the allegations in August 2019, and that Scarlett “was immediately suspended and an independent disciplinary investigation opened”.
On Saturday it wrote on Twitter: “We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Liam Scarlett’s death.
“Our thoughts are with his friends and family at this very sad time.”