UK

Teenager sentenced for attack on rabbi who was struck with a brick

A teenager who punched a rabbi to the ground before he was struck over the head with a brick has been sentenced to three years and seven months in a young offender institution.

Rabbi Rafi Goodwin was driving in his car with his three children aged two, four and five in the back, in Chigwell in May last year when two men walked from behind a parked van into the path of his car, causing him to brake.

The judge, Recorder Richard Conley, said the two men, 19-year-old Souraka Djabouri and a second man who has not been identified, then embarked on an “ugly and shameful course of conduct”, damaging Mr Goodwin’s car, attacking him and stealing his phone.

“The reason for this behaviour was the fact you and your associate recognised Mr Goodwin was a member of the Jewish faith,” the judge, sitting at Chelmsford Crown Court, said.

The judge said one of the men shouted “he’s a Jew” during the incident in Limes Avenue at around 1pm on May 16 last year.

He said Djabouri denied it was him, but that Mr Goodwin recalled that the person who made the remark was the same person who spat on his windscreen.

DNA testing established it was Djabouri who spat on the windscreen, the judge said.

Related News  Brexit: Middle England reacts to Boris Johnson's trade deal - 'we hoped for this a long time ago!'

He said Djabouri kicked the car’s wing mirror, which snapped off, and the other man kicked the car door.

The judge said that one of Mr Goodwin’s children asked Mr Goodwin “why are they kicking the car”.

“Mr Goodwin told them he didn’t know, but of course he did know, it was because they were Jews,” he said.

He said Mr Goodwin “bravely drove after” the two men and got out of his car to try to take photos of them on his phone.

Rabbi Rafi Goodwin

The judge said Djabouri then began a “merciless assault, punching Mr Goodwin five times in the face until he fell to the floor”.

He said one of the two men then struck Mr Goodwin on the head with a brick and stole his phone, which had the photos on.

The phone has not been recovered.

The judge added: “It’s nothing short of miraculous that Mr Goodwin didn’t sustain life-threatening or life-changing injuries.”

He said both men “fled the scene leaving Mr Goodwin bleeding on the floor, not caring whether he was alive or dead or how serious his injuries may have been”.

He said the person who Mr Goodwin identified as being Djabouri was described by Mr Goodwin as “the main guy”.

Related News  YouTube star Jake Paul's LA home raided by FBI after big party

The judge said his sentencing powers had been “significantly curtailed by the decision to accept a guilty plea to a considerably less serious” charge than what he had originally faced.

Djabouri, of Tudor Crescent, Fairlop, admitted at an earlier hearing at Chelmsford Crown Court to grievous bodily harm without intent.

This was an alternative to the more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

The defendant also admitted to the theft of the phone and to the religiously aggravated criminal damage of the car.


For more updates check below links and stay updated with News AKMI.
Education News || Politics News || Journal News || Daily Local News || Lifetime Fitness || Sports News || Automotive News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

usa news wall today prime news newso time news post wall

Close